The Beat

The Beat

Service through sandwiches

Many people in the Carrollton community are participating in the Missionaries of Charity sandwich drive. Gabriela Garrity ‘20 writes, “Goal III, ‘a social awareness which impels to action,’ is not limited to our time on campus. The Carrollton Casserole Project is staying active during social distancing by holding sandwich drives for the Missionaries of Charity soup kitchen in downtown Miami. Students from all grades and their families made individually-wrapped ham and cheese sandwiches to donate to people in a homeless situation in our local community.”

In a follow-up email to the community Gabriela writes, “Thank you for an incredible collection of sandwiches today for people in a homeless situation. There were coolers and boxes overflowing with bags of sandwiches, and the Missionaries of Charity are very grateful. Our donation was so successful that it will last them a whole week.”

Kaysi Crook ‘24, one of many contributing to the drive writes, “My classmates and I participated in making and distributing sandwiches to the homeless through the organization, the Missionaries of Charity of Mother Teresa. As children of the Sacred Heart, I feel that we have an obligation to help our community. In times of crisis, it is even more important to help those less fortunate.”

Kaysi continues, “I feel good helping the homeless, and it reminds me of how blessed I am to have a roof over my head. Upon return from delivering the sandwiches, I realized how fortunate I am to be in quarantine inside of my house with air conditioning, food, and water, things that I take for granted every day of my life.”

The next sandwich collection will be Tuesday, April 14th. Depending on how the collection goes next week, there may be another collection next Sunday. Here’s the link if you would like to sign up for the next collection. Please remove your name if you are not planning on participating in next week’s collection.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Djsx-GCtUu0G5T5X4UnWdS32nLcwfpZlODpf59tWizA/edit?usp=sharing