The Beat

The Beat

Music’s biggest night

What to know going into the 2024 Grammys

The annual Grammy Awards, also known as the most important night for the Recording Academy, is one of the most anticipated events of the year for aspiring musicians, members of the Recording Academy, and people all around the world. The awards seek to recognize musicians, producers, sound engineers, and many more individuals who have been a part of the past year’s music industry and have made significant contributions to the community. 

This year, the nominees transcend genres and styles, with new artists and established icons both placing in their respective categories. 

Ice Spice, who had two record-breaking singles this year, has become a household name in an extremely short period of time. After rising to stardom, she was featured on Taylor Swift’s remix of her song Karma and has also been featured on a Nicki Minaj song and Kim Kardashian’s SKIMS campaign.

But Ice Spice isn’t the only artist nominated in this category who has worked closely with Swift this year. Gracie Abrams, a 24-year-old singer-songwriter who has been releasing music since 2015 and has gained significant acclaim for her debut album ”Good Riddance” has also shot to stardom after supporting Swift on her Eras Tour. She told Alex Hopper of American Songwriter“Any opportunity to watch that show and be in her orbit is [like a] masterclass in how to do this. I look up to her so much as a human being and as an artist…I’m so grateful to her forever.” 

Noah Kahan, who shot to fame after the success of his album “Stick Season” has also been nominated in the Best New Artist category alongside Ice Spice, Gracie Abrams, and Fred Again. Kahan perfectly encapsulates the feelings of growing up in New England and his songs show a level of vulnerability when it comes to sensitive topics. He has done remixes of his songs with various acclaimed artists like Post Malone, Kacey Musgraves, and Hozier. 

Although many people look forward to this particular night in the music industry, many are under the impression that the Grammys are “rigged.” Some examples people like to point out are that many big and well-known artists who have had hit songs have not received a Grammy. Despite being nominated for 8 Grammys, Miley Cyrus has never received one herself. Pop icon, Katy Perry, has also not won a Grammy and has been nominated a total of 13 times. Whether the Grammys are truly rigged or these artists have cursed luck is anyone’s guess.. 

This year’s Album of the Year category, the focal point of the award ceremony,  is female-dominated with a 7:1 ratio. Big artists like Taylor Swift, SZA, and Miley Cyrus are all nominated for this award, which has led to many different speculations about the resulting victor. 

In a poll conducted among Upper School students, out of 71 respondents, 38.2% of students believe “SOS” by SZA will win the award, while 21.1% believe that “Midnights” by Taylor Swift would take home the prize, and 21.1% believe that “‘Did you know there’s a tunnel under ocean blvd?”  by Lana Del Ray will win. 

There is also a dark horse nominee within this category. The all-female super group composed of Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers, and Lucy Dacus, also known as Boygenius, have been nominated for their Album “The Record.” Bridgers has previously been nominated in four categories in the 2021 Grammys, while the other two have not been nominated previous to their 7 nominations this year. The trio have had quite the year with the release of their debut album and second EP, while headlining famed venues like Madison Square Garden, The Hollywood Bowl, and many other places on tour. They also performed their Grammy-nominated song “Not Strong Enough” on SNL in November, and took part in a skit alongside American-French actor Timothee Chalamet.

Pop sensation Olivia Rodrigo has also been nominated in this category for her sophomore album “GUTS.” The 20-year-old singer-songwriter has been nominated for 6 Grammys and has previously received 3 Grammys for her album “Sour” in 2022. 

The 2024 Grammys will be taking place on February 4th in the Crypto.com Arena in Los Angeles, California. South African comedian and writer, Trevor Noah, will be hosting the awards and many renowned artists will be performing, such as Billy Joel, SZA, and U2, who will be live streaming (for the first time) from The Sphere in Paradise, Nevada.