The Beat

The Beat

Calm in quarantine

Students have adapted to online school due to the COVID 19 outbreak.

All schools in Miami-Dade County have closed until further notice. On Friday, March 13, Carrollton’s Head Master Olen Kalkus announced that the school would shift to remote learning starting the following week amid the COVID-19 outbreak. Some students in the Upper School were happy because they saw it as a mini-vacation, but in the assembly which immediately followed, some seniors started to cry because they were not sure when they would see each other next and for how much they would be missing these last few months of their senior year.

At the end of the second week of virtual school, Isabel Alia-Arias ‘22 wrote that she has, “enjoyed online school for now because I can sleep in and finish my homework faster.” Though there are perks of staying at home, Isabella Mestre ‘22 wrote, “ I think that virtual learning cannot replace physically being in a classroom with your teachers and friends.” There are pros and cons of this new remote learning system because students are now in the comfort of their homes where they have more liberties, but some have felt “trapped” since they can only see their friends via Google Meets. The interactions students have with one another at school are totally different than seeing each other on a computer screen.

Not only has this virus affected students but teachers have also had to adapt to online school. Upper School English teacher Ms. Stojsic wrote, “Going online, given that it is new, takes careful planning.” As much as teachers have tried to make virtual school as normal as possible there are challenges. Ms. Stojsic continued, “There are difficulties, like losing WiFi, or just feeling stressed, scared, alone, or bored. Classes that you would run in a proper physical setting can’t run the same way virtually, but other styles of lessons can still run quite beautifully.”

Online school has taken some time to adapt to, but students and teachers seem to be hopeful. Isabella Mestre ‘22 wrote, “The teachers have found some really engaging and creative ways to present the material and keep their classes on track.” Though remote learning is not the same as face to face learning, students, teachers, and parents are in it together. “My heart is in this, and students know through reading, listening, writing, resting, meditating, praying, and exercising, mostly in solitude, there is no reason why their education cannot be of the highest quality,” Ms. Berlinghof said. She continued, “I’m proud of my students and their ability to rise to the expectations I and my colleagues set before them.  Since I can’t change anything I am hoping to accept the circumstances as they are and take each day as it comes.”