The Beat

The Beat

Virtual because of the virus

Students are doing school virtually to practice social distancing during the COVID-19 outbreak.

Social distancing is key to preventing the spread of COVID-19. So, Miami-Dade Public Schools and schools across the nation have switched to virtual learning. Students now spend their regular school day seeing their teachers and classmates through a screen.

Sra. Barrera, Upper School Spanish teacher writes, “Me siento bien. La experiencia ha sido muy interesante y representa un desafío para mi pues amo estar en frente de mis estudiantes y transmitirles mis recomendaciones en directo. Me gusta mucho la interacción en clases y el intercambio de ideas con mucha más libertad y fluidez. (I feel good. The experience has been very interesting and represents a challenge for me because I love being in front of my students and transmitting my recommendations live. I really like the interaction in classes and the exchange of ideas with much more freedom and fluency.)”

Mrs. Kreh, Upper School science teacher writes, “Creating hands-on experiences with labs are much more challenging virtually. While we can complete virtual labs so you can still practice the skills of data analysis and scientific communication, it is not the same thing as working in a lab together and experiencing data collection.” Upper School religion teacher Mrs. Andreu comments, “I have found that it’s not as scary as I had anticipated and the students are so committed to making it work as well as excited for their classes that I look forward to our meetings everyday!

The students themselves have also adjusted to this new way of learning. Victoria Toledo ‘23 writes, “I like the amount of extra time I have because it gives me the opportunity to work ahead and finish most of my homework throughout the day. However, I find it a bit harder to ask questions of my teachers.” With this new learning environment some have faced challenges with missing the physical setting of school with direct human interaction. “I do not like feeling stuck at my house all day,” continues Victoria.

The students have been very quick to figure out what they enjoy and dislike about the virtual school alternative. Sofia Travieso ‘23 writes, “I get to sleep in more and not have to worry about waking up early or preparing my bags for school,” but has disliked “Staying at the same place staring at the same screen whereas in school we go into different classrooms and have a new setting.

Even parents have felt the effects of virtual schooling. Before, they would drop their children off everyday at school from 8:30-3:30 and now, they are at home for those hours. The parents’ adjustments of having their children at home have been, “Challenging! Keeping my fourth grade daughter focused and making sure she is doing her school work has tested my creativity,” writes Silvia Lastra. Jose Gomez writes, “I need to make sure my children stay on task, even if they feel the comfort of their home.” Vanessa Gomez adds, “Virtual schooling is a great solution. Although, I feel like the students are missing that face to face student teacher interactions that are very important.

It’s important to stay safe in times like this. So wash your hands and stay in, and do your part in preventing the spread of COVID-19.