The Beat

The Beat

Elly’s tips for a productive year: MEDITATION

Processed with VSCO with c9 preset

/p>

“Meditation is not a way of making your mind quiet. It’s a way of entering into the quiet that’s already there – buried under the 50,000 thoughts the average person thinks every day.” ― Deepak Chopra

My second tip for a productive school year, is to “stop!” Just stop. Taking 5 minutes out of your school day to practice Espacio, or meditate, can help refocus your mind and take you away from the stress the long school day brings. Daniel T. Willingham, a psychology professor at the University of Virginia supports the benefits of meditation, “teachers find that meditation can better prepare students for learning by improving their attention skills and reducing test anxiety.” 

The Carrollton community practices Espacio on a regular basis and this five minutes of silence benefits everyone in developing an openness to the mystery of God. Like meditation, Espacio helps people disconnect from their daily distractions, ultimately improving concentration.

A meditative routine should begin with finding a quiet spot. At Carrollton we are blessed with a beautiful campus that overlooks the bay. This is a perfect place to center your mind during Espacio. 

Start by getting into a comfortable position, close your eyes and inhale and exhale slowly 10 times. Focus on breathing, continue counting your breaths-10 at a time, as you become more relaxed. Give the next few minutes to yourself and take in God’s world that surrounds you. Through Espacio, or guided meditation, students can center their minds and be present with God.

Processed with VSCO with h6 preset