The Beat

The Beat

Love conquers all

Carrollton’s ring ceremony
The Class of 2025 poses with their rings after the ceremony on February 3.

No matter what age students join the Carrollton community, the ring ceremony is one of the most anticipated traditions as they complete their junior year and move on to their final year of high school. For decades, students have been receiving the famous class ring with an engraving of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the words, caritas vincit omnia, a quote from the Latin poet Virgil, meaning “love conquers all.” 

This ring is a constant reminder for Sacred Heart girls going off into the world of their core values, their sisters, and the presence of God on whatever path they choose. During the ring ceremony practice that took place on February 1, Head of School Mrs. Gillingham Rivas used the five fingers on each hand as an analogy for the five goals: “Your five fingers represent the five goals,” she said. They all work together and depend on each other. 

One of the most meaningful parts of the ring ceremony is a ring sister–a senior who presents the ring to a junior during the ceremony. As the seniors get ready to go off to college, they pass the tradition onto the next class. Juniors take the responsibility of becoming the role models of the school, as they lead with pride, integrity, and faith. 

“I think that having a ring sister is a blessing because they can be there to guide us both spiritually and educationally, especially since they’ve already lived through one of the hardest years of high school that we are just beginning to go through,” said Gabriella Garcia-Pons ‘25. This presentation not only unites the two grades, but spiritually connects all Carrollton students with those who came before. 

This year, however, the tradition also came with change. It was the first time the Ring Ceremony was held in Carrollton’s new Mater Chapel rather than Saint Hugh. This change in location required new methods, traditions, and cooperation, as the faculty and staff worked tirelessly to make the ceremony possible. 

Yet another exciting change was the participation of Mrs. Consuegra, former Primary and Montessori Head, in the ceremony for the first time as Upper School Head. “Because of the new leadership model, we wanted to incorporate everyone into the ceremony,” said Mrs. Consuegra.  “Roses are such a special piece of who we are. Eighth graders receive roses at graduation, seniors get roses when they graduate, and I thought it would tie in beautifully.” 

In the gift alongside the rose, was a small card with an excerpt from one of Sister Cooke’s writings. “I wanted to give them a resonating prayer,” said Mrs. Consuegra, “so I looked for a quote that they understand; because  ‘love conquers all’ is not just a phrase.”  

The two-hour ceremony involved a mass, the naming of each junior to receive her ring on the altar, and speeches given by administrators and students alike. Ana Maria Bru ‘24, spoke about her Carrollton experiences, the ring and its meaning, and the lifelong bond created within her class. Alexa Rodriguez ‘25 was chosen by the junior class to reflect on her time at Carrollton and her hopes for the class of 2025 as they progress into their senior year. 

This small ring serves as a large reminder of the tight-knit community filled with compassion, faith, and care that Sacred Heart students grow up in–one that will stay with them forever. “Carrollton’s caritas refers to love as charity. It symbolizes the ultimate power and ultimate truth,” wrote Sister Cooke. 

The three-worded message shows Carrollton students that no matter what life throws their way, love truly prevails. As Sister Cooke wrote:  “Love and only love will give your life meaning, depth, and joy. It is love and only love that can calm your fears and give you peace.” 

View Comments (1)