The Beat

The Beat

Proud sisters

Cara+Mentzel+and+Idina+Menzel+read+from+their+book%2C+Proud+Mouse+at+an+assembly+in+September.+
Ms. Dugarte
Cara Mentzel and Idina Menzel read from their book, “Proud Mouse” at an assembly in September.

Sisters Cara Mentzel and Idina Menzel came to the Barat Campus to read their newest book, “Proud Mouse,” with the younger grades. 

Idina Menzel is an American actress and singer who is best known for her roles as the voice of Elsa in Disney’s “Frozen” and Elphaba in Broadway’s “Wicked.”

Cara Mentzel is an author and a former elementary school teacher, who has also worked as a reading specialist. 

Their book, “Proud Mouse,” is inspired by the two sisters and tells the story of a loud, outgoing mouse, who represents Idina, and a younger, quieter mouse, a character based on Cara, who begins school and is initially perceived as having a similar personality to her older sister. 

Throughout the story, Cara Lee, the younger mouse, discovers her identity outside of being related to Dee, her sister. Cara Lee finds her personal interests, realizes who she is, and communicates that to everyone else. 

The story ends with a touching pronouncement from Dee to Cara Lee: “You may not be a loud mouse like me, but I’m a proud mouse like you.”

After reading and singing through the book together, the sisters invited the Montessori and primary students to ask a few questions. They talked about supporting each other throughout their careers, and both discussed the creative techniques they use in their respective jobs. 

Despite being a seasoned performer, Idina admitted that she still gets nervous. She thinks that can actually be helpful. “Nerves are great–they mean you really care about what you’re doing!” she said.

Cara described her writing process. She likes to take walks outside and drive to reflect on new ideas. She also explained that she is still finding her voice. “Every day I think, what feels good in my heart? And I put it out into the world!”

View Comments (2)