The Beat

The Beat

Martina Santos 26 (left) hosts Nieves Gomez as an exchange student from Madrid.
Meet Nieves Gomez
May 27, 2024

Bienvenue Madame Barrera

New faculty member teaches two languages and speaks even more.

and Pia Cortes ‘22

“This is my first experience with Sacred Heart,” said Ms. Barrera, a new language teacher. She graduated from the University of Havana in her hometown, Havana, Cuba focusing on international languages. Fluent in Spanish and French, Ms. Barrera also studied, English, Japanese and Portuguese. Prior coming to the U.S., Ms. Barrera taught French to elementary school students in grades 1- 4, and Phonetics and Phonology of French and Spanish to students in her former university. Her love of the French language above all others was evident. “I didn’t want to speak French, first of all, I wanted to speak English fluently. I ended up not taking it and signing up for French and fell in love with it.”

Ms. Barrera’s approach to teaching is Goal II focused. Encouraging her students to center their attention on learning and understanding the curriculum, instead of worrying about grades and making their parents happy. This is an important philosophy that Ms. Barrera wants her students to apply to the rest of their studies.

“She’s very compassionate and kind” said Finley Moss ‘22, a French IV student. Finley explained that Ms. Barrera is a person values family and speaks about hers lovingly. Finley finds it beneficial that Ms. Barrera is multi-lingual because, “she can apply different languages to teaching and offer a lot more perspectives.” Finley feels that her understanding of the French language has been enriched since Ms. Barrera became her teacher.