Postmates Mania: The Food Delivery Craze in the Upper School

Olga Rocio Rivas

Concerns like what to order, how long it will take the food to arrive, and too many friends scrambling to you to order for them – promising to pay you back, are common around lunchtime at Carrollton’s Upper School.

Many students have food delivered to school instead of bringing their own or pre-ordering school lunch. Some schools have begun to ban food deliveries from all providers including Uber Eats, Postmates, etc. because tracking down students to pick up their lunches is disruptive. Jennifer Leighton of Granite Bay High School in Placer County, California writes in the Sacramento Bee, “We can’t manage it, and we shouldn’t manage it. It’s not our job to find a kid and make sure he knows his lunch is here.”

Though many public and private schools are facing similar issues, Carrollton has figured out a system that works. Orders are received on a table outside of Cooke Hall, and students are responsible for picking them up.

According to a recent Upper School survey, 56.3% of respondents say they order food because of preference. Popular restaurants include Chicken Kitchen, Sushi Maki, Shake Shack, and more. 40% of the students order 1-2 times a week. Others say they order to either treat themselves or because they forgot to bring food.